After a seemingly endless wait, Marvel Studios has officially launched the promotional campaign for Thor: Love and Thunder, which will release this summer. This sequel is now having the shortest promo window in MCU history by a fairly large margin, and fans are speculating as to why it’s taken so long for a first look at the movie.
As soon as the first trailer hit the web on Monday, April 18, the story of Love and Thunder became clearer as Chris Hemsworth’s Thor begins his first solo story since Avengers: Endgame. With footage of Star-Lord and the Guardians of the Galaxy, and a first look at Natalie Portman as the female Thor.
Marvel Studios has built an incredible reputation for its strategy of releasing trailers, each new teaser of which draws in an audience that is almost unmatched by any other franchise. Now that trend is continuing in full form, with the numbers for the first Thor: Love and Thunder trailer officially released.
Marvel Studios announced on Twitter that the first trailer for Thor: Love and Thunder hit 209 million views in its first 24 hours online. The tweet included a GIF from the trailer showing Thor working out with huge chains and thanked viewers for being “the world’s best fans”.
The world’s strongest Avenger with the world’s best fans! Thank you for 209 million views in 24 hours!.
These figures put the Love and Thunder trailer as the fifth most viewed of any Marvel Studios trailer and the fourth most viewed of any MCU teaser trailer. It also ranks as the seventh most viewed movie in film history, with six of the top 10 being films from the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
The full top ten trailers can be seen below:
- “Spiderman: No Way Home“, teaser trailer – 355.5 million views
- “Avengers: Endgame“, teaser trailer – 289 million views
- “Avengers: Endgame“, final trailer – 268 million views
- “The Lord of the Rings: Rings of Power“, teaser trailer – 257 million views
- “Avengers: Infinity War“, teaser trailer – 230 million views
- “The Lion King“, teaser trailer – 224.6 million views
- “Thor: Love and Thunderteaser trailer – 209 million views
- “It“, teaser trailer – 197 million views
- “Avengers: Infinity War“, final trailer – 179 million views
- “Mulan“, teaser trailer – 175.1 million views
Overall, Marvel Studios has turned the release of its trailers into an art, as evidenced by four of the top five in terms of the number of views since the start of statistics in the 21st century. Thor: Love and Thunder made it into the top 10 most-viewed trailers in history – quite a feat, especially considering it’s only the second MCU solo movie on this list after the huge Spider-Man: No Way Home.
Thor: Love and Thunder hits theaters on July 8th.