The developers talked about the setting, gameplay and country management.
The Zone Of Games portal interviewed Dmitry Zdesev, head of the Game Art Pioneers studio, which is working on the DISTORTION role-playing strategy announced in August. Here’s what we found out about the game:
- In DISTORTION, humanity will have to unite in order to survive in the face of terrifying creatures. Players have to manage a team of eight characters.
- The setting of the game is science fiction, albeit with a touch of dark fantasy. However, there will be no magic here.
- The heroes differ from each other in their abilities, and the gameplay of the title is focused on the formation of units, competent management of them during the battle – the developers do not want to label their project, but they see Mount & Blade as the closest in spirit.
- It will be possible to switch between characters freely, and they will be able to perform various tasks at the same time. For example, while one hero goes on a campaign with an army, another is treating the wounded, a third is building a city, and so on.
- It will be possible to lead not only the army, but the whole country: the decisions made by the player will affect the construction of settlements, the economy and other factors.
- DISTORTION has the potential and scope to expand as a franchise. The developers do not exclude that the title may eventually grow beyond the limits of just one game.
- The project is being developed on Unreal Engine 5, and will soon switch to the latest version of the engine – Unreal Engine 5.1.
- More information about the game will be revealed in 2023, with a teaser coming in the spring and a trailer coming out next winter. DISTORTION will be released in early access: the title has a lot of serious innovations in the gameplay, and they need to be tested before it goes to release.
Full interview as well as fresh art and gameplay videos available link